Tuesday, July 5, 2011

July 4th in Government Bay





I anchored out in Government Bay for the July 4th fireworks in Cedarville & Hessel, Michigan. The fireworks weren't the man-made kind but a magnificent sunset, that turned the water a golden hue. This is why I love cruising and boating and just being outside. In Phoenix, this time of year, I would have been inside, with the air conditioning running full blast. I've attached a picture of the sunset. Oh, the human fireworks were excellent too.
Yesterday I got a ride in a Hacker "woodie" for those of you who like old wooden boats. The Les Cheneaux Islands are famous for "woodies" and the Hessel Wooden Boat Show is one of the largest on the Great Lakes. I've attached a picture but it doesn't do the boat justice, it is a beautiful restoration.
I'm going to hang out in the Les Cheneaux Islands until there is a good weather window, for me to move south to St. Ignace, near Mackinac Island. I was told you can reserve an overnight slip on Mackinac and I might try to stay there for a night before moving on to St. Ignace. I have a sweet tooth and the Mackinac FUDGE is some of the best I've ever tasted. The locals call the tourists "Fudgies" because everyone has to buy some. If you fly into Mackinac you're a "Flying Fudgie, if you boat into Mackinac you're a "Boating Fudgie."
This morning there were thunderstorm warnings for the Les Cheneaux Islands and I put out my 22 lb. Delta plow anchor for the first time and took in the Danforth I use most of the time. The Delta held and Ticaboo didn't move an inch, in some strong gusts, as a thunderstorm past by, with heavy rains. I like the security of this new Delta, with 25' of heavy chain and strong rode, that I purchased for this trip. Weeds and rocky anchorages up here make the Danforth a second choice to the plow, in the North Channel and many parts of Lake Huron and Lake Michigan.

No comments:

Post a Comment