Monday, July 25, 2011

Sister Bay, Door County Peninsula

I'm exhausted after a rough crossing from Escanaba to Sister Bay. Some nice tourists took this picture of me with Ticaboo, at Sister Bay City Marina, after dinner.

There are some beautiful boats (ships) here in Door County. This is a vacation destination for many wealthy Chicago residents, who boat up to the peninsula for their vacation. That yacht in the background is a Hatteras.

This is Sister Bay, looking out from the marina breakwater.

Al Johnson's Restaurant, with the goats grazing on the grass roof is a famous landmark in Sister Bay. The food was excellent!

This is the entrance channel to the Sister Bay City Marina.

WOW! What a sunset, over Green Bay.

Today Ticaboo and I crossed from Escanaba, Michigan to the Door County Peninsula and Sister Bay, Wisconsin. I waited in Escanaba for a "good" marine weather forecast. Today sounded perfect for the 40 mile crossing. Light winds and waves two feet or less. Unfortunately this was another adventure in waves two meters or more!
It was a very rough crossing to say the least but our Albin 25s are up to the task. The interior of Ticaboo did get rearranged by the time I arrived in Sister Bay. These waves in Green Bay have a very short period, so most of the time you just smoothly ride from one crest to the next, even the four & five footers.
Sometimes I got a set of waves much higher, with a longer period between them and things got interesting. When Ticaboo came off the crest of one wave Ticaboo's bow would hit the next wave, head on, with spray hitting the windshield and going over the top of the boat. When this happened the visibility dropped to zero for a second, or two but I didn't have to wash the windows when I got into Sister Bay. Thank you guy, whoever you are, who invented RAIN-X.
For those of you who have boated in the Caribbean, you know that every morning you have to clean the foredeck of Flying Fish, that have grounded themselves during the previous night. I'm not pulling your leg but when I got into Sister Bay, I found two small (3" long) Shiner looking fish on Ticaboo's deck. When I told another boater this story, he said that this wasn't unusual and that these fish are an exotic, that has gotten into the Great Lakes and have become a favorite dinner for salmon in the lakes.
Sister Bay is beautiful and has some interesting attractions. Everyone I've met at the marinas, has told me that I had to eat at Al Johnson's Restaurant, in Sister Bay. They said the food is fantastic and the goats grazing, on the grass roof, are famous. So tonight I had dinner there and the Swedish pancakes were delicious.
Sister Bay is also famous for the sunsets and droves of people arrived at the marina breakwater to watch what was a beautiful sunset. I hope you enjoy the pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment